How I see it...

Laying in my hammock, sipping an adult beverage, I contemplate the deeper issues and finer points of this world and my life. I reach well informed opinions and share them here. Being mostly Irish, I can argue either side of any issue; but you throw the Swede in there and I become a very stubborn, stoic, stick-to-my-values type of person.

Friday, August 15, 2008

On petty dreams and wishful thinking

Iraq may be stable, but the war was a mistake - Fukuyama

 

Ok, seriously, what the ...

 

Isn't that like saying, "Ok, the hungry are fed, but cooking dinner was a mistake."

The results of the war are undeniable.  The biggest issue now is on getting our troops out of Iraq while maintaining the stability that has been gained there.  Most of the violence is from factions that see us as an occupying force, which we are not.  We will leave that country in the hands of her countrymen; free to do as they wish.  No longer under tyrannical rule.  Perhaps that type of rule will return, but if the people can come together then they have a shot.

I realize that total freedom is as strange to these people as true oppression is to we Americans, an perhaps that is an impossible dream, their religion determining a large control on their lives.  However, I feel that a political model can be contrived that will allow all sides to be truly and equally represented and real voting and democracy can develop.

Mr. Fukuyama?  You have gotten it totally wrong and your piece is simply wishful thinking.  In reading between the lines, you would have had America and her people totally fail and be ridden over.  And to this undercurrent I say: never.

No comments:

Post a Comment